Re: [css3-mediaqueries][cssom] Empty media queries in stylesheets and the DOM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:48:21 +0900, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> To be clear: you're saying that @media { ... } is invalid, right ? Thus
> WebKit treats it correctly  ?

I believe it is the plan to make that invalid yes, yes. Though ultimately
it depends on what the module that defines @media will say about it.

> If so we should clarify this part of the prose. I honestly don't see how
> anyone could understand that these two opening statements have nothing
> to do
> with syntax, nor how it relates to what model.

Why not? Media queries are a concept and as a concept if you omit the
media type part it will be assumed to be all. The syntax says that if you
input nothing it is treated like "not all" (unless a referencing
specification says something different, e.g. <style media=""> is the same
as <style media="all"> per HTML5).

> Second, can you elaborate on why Gecko's OM behavior makes sense ?
> To the extent no medium is invalid, I can see how 'not all' allows the
> rule to be disabled when all have been removed. I assume it also allows
> new
> mediums to be inserted afterwards and apply (although patterns like
> 'print not all' ought to be explained in the spec).

Where does 'print not all' come from? That is invalid.

> Any other reasons ?

We need some kind of fallback. I suppose it depends on what you expect
removing all media queries to do what you consider to be most logical. If
you prefer it to be 'all' we can do that too.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/