Re: transitions vs. animations

From: "HåkonWium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:34 PM
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: transitions vs. animations

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
> > >  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2010/ta/
>
> I've added your examples.
>
> > Here is how that column may look like:
> > ('once' here is synonym of '1').
>
> "once" is the default, I presume, so you wouldn't have to specify it?

Yes, I think 'once' should be used by default. Another option is to use
'infinite'
as a default value but I think 'once' will be used in most of cases.

> >   .two
> >   {
> >     position: relative;
> >     left: 500px;
> >     animate-in: "bounce" top 0.2s 5,
> >                 linear left 1s once;
> >   }
>
> The "linear" keyword indicates a linear interpolation, I presume -- as
> opposed to a "profiled" interpolation. The "linear" value would also
> be the default value, no?

Yes, linear is a default value.
It's just a grammar that may require explicit name of ease function.
It seems that we have too many optional parameters that look the same
so some disambiguation may be required.

> I think the syntax looks simple and doable. Are there use cases that
> would require more than one property to be changed, which couldn't be
> specified with multiple profiles?

Yep, and yet it removes that problem with transitions overriding
animations and vice versa. Everything is just an animation. Repeatable or
not.

> Now that I think about it, "@profile" doesn't seem intuitive. Would
> @pattern or @shape be better? Hmm.

My hope is that @profile could be useful in other places - not only
in animations. As I said, gradients can be expressed better with them.
So the name should be as neutral as possible.

@profile is an ordered table that defines strong points for interpolation -
function
defined by table.  And yet default interpolation method should be mentioned,
e.g. Hermite, Akima splines or just linear.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com