Re: transitions vs. animations

On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Chris Marrin:
>
>>>  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2010/ta/index.html
>>
>> Let me split this into two issues:
>
> I agree that the proposal contains ideas that can be discussed
> separately.
>
>> 1) Unified syntax for animation and transition
>>
>> Here you are incorporating the animation-name property into the
>> single 'effect' shorthand. This gets rid of a few animation
>> properties, but at the expense of readability and increased
>> complexity.
>
> I think the unified model is simpler, and more readable. Fewer
> properties, fewer terms that can be confused.
>
> I don't expect you to like any change proposals, though :)

Yes, my fear is that my opinions will come off as "I don't want to change the proposal"! But it's really not that. I feel strongly that the current spec is a good definition of how animations and transitions work. But I don't think it's perfect. In particular I believe that the problem that needs fixing has to do with how to trigger animations.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com