Re: [css3-color] #rrggbbaa annotation, do we need to change the process?

On Wednesday 2010-04-07 19:55 +0200, Eduard Pascual wrote:
> 3) "Are you volunteering to...?"
> That kind of questions are, on the best case, an euphemism. If it
> weren't because it came from Boris, I'd take the last one even as an
> insult.
> Last time I checked, there are two ways to be part of the W3C process:
> - Be an employee of a W3C member company, and have that company commit
> your work time to contribute on the W3C work.
> - Become an "invited expert". That quite reminds me of the times when
> GMail was "invitational", and having a GMail account was a privilege.
> Who "invites" people to join the W3C work? How is "expertise" measured
> for potential invitees?

As one member of the working group, I'd like to see that not be a
problem.  We should encourage people who aren't officially members
of the working group to help with things that need to be done.
Then, at some level of involvement, we can deal with the
administrative hassle of officially making somebody an invited
expert if that needs to be done.

> Specific details:
> - Create a "level" of contribution that doesn't involve so much
> bureaucracy to opt in for contributors. This could be called "External
> collaborator" or "External assistant". The key aspect is that it
> should require neither invitation nor specific employment status
> (after all, unemployed people probably have a lot more time to commit
> here ;) ). Reasonable requirements are:

Why does this need to be formalized and have requirements?  I think
part of what the WHATWG has done well is say that anybody can
(and is encouraged to) contribute.

-David