Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Apr 5, 2010, at 9:51 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> Cases where one property always overrides the other are messy wrt the
> cascade, and should be avoided. It's easy to think, "oh, well, we'll
> just design a new property that, when set, always overrides the old
> property" because in many languages, that works no problem. But in CSS
> it royally screws with the cascade, since once you use the new
> property,
> higher-specificity rules with the old property no longer have an
> effect.

I wasn't aware of this wrt list-style-type. I had assumed that the in
the following, the 'content' would be reset to a disc in the more
specific case:

ol li::marker { content:'brad'; }
ol > li#not-brad{ list-style-type:disc; }

Any reason why it couldn't work like that? Let 'list-style-type' mean
exactly the same thing as 'content:<Unicode of disc>'? And vice versa?