Re: transitions vs. animations

On Apr 4, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> One fundamental difference between transitions and animations is the
> definition of start and end state. Generally, it is like this:
>
> 	(known state A) --> animation --> (no end state)
> 	(known state A) --> transition --> (known state B)

"An animation does not affect the computed value before the
application of the animation, before the animation delay has expired,
and after the end of the animation." [1]

So, after the animation, the state is very well known.  It is the
original state A

On a slightly different topic but I think it might lead somewhere, I
see this in the animation spec:

"If a 0% or "from" keyframe is not specified, then the user agent
constructs a 0% keyframe using the computed values of the properties
being animated. If a 100% or "to" keyframe is not specified, then the
user agent constructs a 100% keyframe using the computed values of the
properties being animated." [2]

There is an "issue" just after it asking about repeating animations.
But, isn't the two uses of "computed value" a mistake?  They should be
"intrinsic value".  And that would resolve the issue about repeating
animations -- I think.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-animations/#animations
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-animations/#keyframes

Perry