Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Apr 1, 2010, at 3:52 AM, Axel Dahmen wrote:

> "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7e1f93761003301034j2ed9ecd2k89228c5a57c2e04a@mail.gmail.com...
>
>> A few of us did, anyway (it wasn't part of the minuted meeting
>> of everyone present). I also posed the idea of list-style-type
>> being a sort of shorthand for ::marker { content: \ 2022; },
>> but that causes problems with the cascade.
>
> I understand. As far as I can see, ::marker is the only element with generated textual content, allowing two rules to contradict each other.

The don't contradict; the one with the higher specificity overrides. This is an integral behavior of CSS, and this is certainly not the only place where one one property overrides another. Since marker is a pseudo-element, it increases specificity when added to a selector. This is also not the only thing to use the 'content' property to generate textual content. The 'content' property is not yet widely implemented, except for '::before' and '::after' pseudo-elements, but it is expected to be.

When I mentioned problems with the cascade, the biggest one is that it is much easier to override list-style-type with a ::marker, than to do the reverse.