Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have say, a bottom that is 200px-wide between the bottom-left and
> bottom-right corner pieces, and my 120px-wide tile images are squished down
> to 100px-wide, then two of them will fit perfectly in the alotted space.
> Thus you have corner, tile, tile, corner, with no further space to deal
> with. Where does centering have any effect, and where are you getting 50px
> spaces?

I *think* you're mentally running the algorithm as if it was "Scale ->
Tile -> Position".  As described in the spec, though, it's "Scale ->
Position -> Tile".

Two copies of the image will indeed fit perfectly in the box, but you
don't *have* two copies until the last step, *after* the 'source copy'
has already been scaled and positioned.  Thus you must position the
first copy on the left edge so that when it tiles the second copy
exactly fills the right half.  If you were to center it first, then
the tiling wouldn't work correctly.