Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, any thoughts on this?

Heh, sorry, had it

> In short, I am proposing that:
>
> 1) when the "round" keyword is used with border-image, that the tiles can
> get either longer or shorter to make them fit in the available space,
> instead of just shorter.

I agree with this, especially in the case you bring up where 1 or 2
images would be just *barely* too large, and exclusively scaling them
down and shoving in an additional one would produce a very large
change that's somewhat unnecessary.

I'd change my mind if someone could show that upscaling like that
would be visually undesirable.

> 2) when the "repeat" keyword is used with border-image, that the left-over
> space be distributed between and around the tiles, instead of just on the
> ends of the row of abutting tiles.

I don't like this.  I think the current behavior makes sense and is
most closely analogous to 'repeat' in backgrounds.

> 3) that the wording of the "position" step of the drawing process be
> changed, so that it doesn't talk about how the tiles are aligned (centered,
> left, etc.), since "stretch" and "round" would not produce different results
> based on alignment, and neither would "repeat" if #2, above, is adopted.

Actually, the current wording makes sense, since the tiling doesn't
occur until later.  'stretch' could conceivably be left-aligned (it
doesn't matter at all), but 'round' *would* produce a different visual
effect if the image was centered before tiling - what if you had an
even number of copies?  And, since I prefer keeping 'repeat' as it is,
it needs to be centered as well.

> 4) if #2, above, is not adopted, then a new keyword, "distribute", be added
> as a fourth choice, and that the wording of the "position" step only mention
> alignment for "repeat", as it would be the only keyword for which it
> mattered.

I support this as a useful visual effect, giving you a uniform
distribution of the image without any scaling.