RE: [css3-multicol] floats that overflow columns

Right, my understanding of GCPM floats is that they always intrude across columns.

Another possible variation would be a property on mutlicol element 'column-overflow' but that would probably be unnecessary complexity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Håkon Wium Lie [mailto:howcome@opera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:52 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: [css3-multicol] floats that overflow columns

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > I think GCPM floats that cause column intrusions should be  > specified differently.

 > In GCPM there is already "float:column" which hands scenarios that  > really target multicol layout.

The switch is 'float: multicol' in the current draft [1]. I think it could work as a trigger for intrusion; if 'multicol' is specified, intrusion is on, otherwise not.

The only change we need to make in the CSS3 Multicol draft [2] is to say that floats are handled the same way as other content: clipped in the middle of the column gap.

One variation would be to honor the 'overflow' property for content overflowing the columns, like it is honored for content overflowing the element's box. This seems reasonable, at least for the 'visible'
and 'hidden' keywords -- less so for 'scroll'. Hmm.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#advanced-multi-column-layout

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#overflow-inside-multicol-elements

-h&kon