From: Håkon Wium Lie [mailto:howcome@opera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:55 PM
To: Alex Mogilevsky
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie; fantasai; www-style@w3.org
Subject: RE: [css3-multicol] floats that overflow columns

Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > Interesting... I agree with you here too -- scale should scale as  > specified, it shouldn't override explicit width setting. It could be a  > useful feature to apply max-width on everything to not exceed column  > or page, but it is no match to proper authoring and shouldn't be the  > default IMO.. .

Either way, we will end up with different behavior between those UAs that support the multicol spec, and UAs that support multicol+GCPM.

For example, I'm sure some authors will start relying on floats being clipped. When GCPM is added to the mix, floats will no longer be clipped. Is that ok, or do we need to add syntax to explicitly state that floats should overflow & intrude?

-h&kon