Re: Pseudo-Classes :button and :input

Boris Zbarsky schrieb:
> On 9/16/09 12:01 PM, Tobias Herp wrote:
>> - a pseudo-class :input which would match any textual input, e.g.
>>    input[type="text"], input[type="password"], textarea,
>>    and the textual input box of input[type="file"]
>
> Note that this last might not exist.

Right. So what?

If it doesn't exist, it just won't be displayed.
If it /does/ exist, it will look like any other textual input control.

>> - a pseudo-class :button which would match any type of buttons, e.g.
>>    input[type="button"], input[type="submit"], button,
>>    and the button part of input[type="file"]
>
> And again, this last might not exist.

Again: so what?

>> Something like this would not only solve the file input problem
>
> Only by assuming a particular (fairly broken, imo) internal makeup for
> file inputs.

Yes; but this "fairly broken internal makeup" is all most of us have
(and perhaps will ever have).

>> which currently need every single of these items listed separately.
>
> Why is that a serious problem requiring new syntax and new code in
> browsers?

Well, /of course/ there might be more /serious/ problems.
But it's not "new syntax", it's just two new pseudo-classes, and it is IMHO a very logical and intuitive solution.
And there is new code in browsers all the time; this feature should be much easier to implement than e.g. generated content (which is still not supported by IE).

It solves problems for file input;
it is convenient for the others.

It's quite logical that, if I specify a whole bunch of properties for textual input fields (e.g. padding, background color), I want all of them look the same; I /might/ want e.g. display password fields slightly differently, but very likely I would want to use at least the same properties for all other textual input controls.

The same is true for all types of buttons; very likely, I would want only the submit button to look /slightly/ different (e.g. font-weight:bolder).

> It seems like exactly the use case attribute selectors were
> created for...

No, not really.
I know about the attribute selectors; but they just *don't work* for the file type input elements.

Consider a slightly different background color for input[type="text"]:focus.  You can't treat input[type="file"]:focus the same (at least for browsers which display a button), because it would change the background color of the button as well, which is almost certainly not what you want.

--
Cheers,

Tobias

--