Re: Drop-Shadow proposal

On Sep 12, 2009, at 1:47 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 2009, at 12:57 PM, fantasai wrote:
>>> ACTION: Brad to come up with full shadow proposal (not finalized,
>>> but to
>>>         see where we're going)
>> OK, and here it is:
>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/drop-shadow/Drop-Shadow.html
>
> Beautiful proposal :)

Thank you.

> But while reading it I've got a question about this image:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/drop-shadow/inner-
> shadow_example2.png
>
> I see a [lighter] halo around "W3C" logo image. Question is: what
> kind of shadow is that?

It's not really a halo, because it is only to the bottom right of the
logo...

It gets a little tricky to try to explain the inner shadow through
semi-opaque openings, but I'll try: Notice how the 100% opaque dots
around the edge are actually completely cut-out holes that let all the
light in through them at an angle that is down and to the right? The
same thing is happening with the 100% opaque logo. It is a completely
cut-out hole, whereas the rest of the orange background is more like
looking through translucent paper which casts a shadow too. The logo
is cut completely out of that paper, so it lets light through at the
same angle as the shadow.

I think the light from the dots looks even lighter because of the
contrast, but it is actually the same color of orange as what you see
near the logo.