Re: font features in CSS

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> Thomas Phinney wrote:
>

>> Yes, the appropriateness is font-specific, but with @font-face we are
>> soon going to be fairly sure about what font we are getting, much of
>> the time (and with the font fallback stack we can be sure to specify
>> as fallback something that is unlikely to trigger an undesired result
>> for selecting alternate ampersand #27).
>>

> I think you're much too optimistic about this. Maybe on desktops in
> the broadband world there will be enough consistency that you can
> ignore the few percent of anomalies, but in other environments font
> downloads are just as likely to be either not available for the
> device/OS or turned off due to limited download speeds or memory.

In a @font-face rule where you specify alternates, you could use a single
'src' value and be sure that if the file is not loaded, the alternates will
not be applied, and do your fallback in font-family rules in the content.

If that turns out to be too cumbersome, we could extend @font-face so that
you can associate font options with particular sources.

Rob
53:5-6]