Re: [css3-layout] shorthand for slot construction

Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> 2009/10/20 Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>:
>> Giovanni Campagna wrote:

>> It seems like in mentioned engines table-cell value of display
>> attribute is changing the meaning of percent length units.
>
> Yes
>
>> Is such behavior defined somewhere?
>
> Informatively in CSS2 17.5.2.2 and normatively in
> css3-tables-algorithm, available at
> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-tables-algorithm>.
>
>> So instead of 30% of parent width they use some percents as
>> sort of flexes.
>>
>> How then to set width of display:table-cell element to
>> 30% width of its container?
>
> table-layout: fixed

So we allowed to have sort-of-flexes but without percentages or
percentages but without flexes. Really the whole design around tables in
CSS looks like last minute hack.

>> These display:table-*** dances looks like dirty hack here.
>
> But they work.

Consider these samples:

   http://terrainformatica.com/w3/tables-css.htm

I do not think that all this can be considered as something
ready for prime time.

Really I have designed html table engine by myself and
have implemented Templates in CSS but I failed to get
idea of half of samples in the document above (questions are in the
document).

How all this in principle is solving problems of <table>
based page designs?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com