Re: [css3-layout] shorthand for slot construction

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Stephen Hay <haymail@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr wrote:
>> (I doubt that a general layout module would be very useful.  Different
>> approaches are best for solving different layout problems, especially
>> when you have such a focus on simplicity of authoring as CSS.  Generic
>> approaches are generally substantially more complex.)
>
> Does this mean you see grid, flexbox and template all being
> implemented and used for different things?

Yes.

> I see a great deal of
> overlap between grid and template, because template can be used for
> both grid and non-grid layout systems.

Indeed.  I feel that Template is really just a layer of syntax sugar
over Grid, with a bit of magic sprinkled on top.  As well, there are a
few improvements to CSS I'd like to see that would reduce this magic
to a minimum (the old flow-to proposal, or whatever we were calling
it).  Grid is a general mechanism that may be easier to build
templating systems and such on top of, but Template is easier for
authors like me to use for most common cases.

> Thanks for your informative responses BTW.

No problem!  Layout solutions are an interesting area in CSS to me.