Re: CSSOM: getClientRects for table with caption

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:10:11 +0200, Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
>> However, for tables with
>> a caption all but Firefox returns a single rect. Is there a reason why the
>> spec describes a different behavior than what 3 out 4 browsers use?
>>

> I think it was because there would otherwise be no way to get those boxes.
> Somewhat surprising that both Presto and WebKit did not read the
> specification correctly. I don't really feel strongly either way at this
> point.
>
> roc, what you say?

Erik didn't say which rect the other browsers return, but it seems to be the
anonymous container box that contains the table box and the caption box, in
Webkit and Opera at least. That's inconsistent with the behaviour for
anonymous block boxes, where we drill down to return the non-anonymous
descendants. And as you observe, it is also less useful since there is then
no way to obtain the table box.

For what it's worth, it would have been a few fewer lines of code for us to
return the anonymous container box, but I suggested and implemented the
spec's behaviour because it seemed better.

I'm not aware of any Web compatibility issues here; a cursory search doesn't
reveal any bugs about it in our bug database.

Rob
53:5-6]