Re: [cssom][dom-level-2-style] Status of CSSValue and other DOM-L2-Style interfaces obsoleted on www-style

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 01:55:50 +0200, Sylvain Galineau
> <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> At minimum, and whatever the reasons to recommend their obsolescence were,
>> it seems these interfaces are not treated as obsolete in practice. And I do
>> not expect a mailing list notice like this one to be normative until the
>> actual spec is edited. But as this has been brought up a couple of times in
>> the recent past [8][9], I wanted to raise the issue once again to encourage
>> its resolution. Thanks !
>
> I still think they should be treated as obsolete. Unfortunately I have not
> found the time to edit CSSOM (separate from CSSOM View) but I did remove
> them there following this resolution. Having said that, they are implemented
> in WebKit and Firefox to some extent. They are not at all convenient APIs
> though. What I'd really like to see is something like
>
>  ele.style.width.px += 2

How does that work?

Are proposing a special string value?

Current implementations have the following:-

typeof el.style.width == "string"; // true
el.style.width == null; // true;

I do not know how your idea would fit into ECMAScript.

The closest think I can imagine is MSIE wacko |item| method, which is
a string value and callable at the same time. Or maybe the
"undetectable" document.all.

> or some such. (We might need to use a different object than style since
> making something both an object and DOMString for backwards compatibility is
> asking for trouble I suppose.)

The need to use a different object has not been provided for. I
understand that it is an alternative to avoid (incongruous,
disastrous) hacks necessary to fulfill the proposal for style.width.px
+= 2.

The proposal does not state a need, does not address issue of units,
percentage, auto, etc.

Did you get a chance to see the el.style.getValueAs() proposal?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Sep/0208.html

Garrett