Re: [CSS21] margin computed value

On Monday 2009-11-09 21:14 +0300, Andrey Mikhalev wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, L. David Baron wrote:
>
>> On Monday 2009-11-09 18:07 +0300, Andrey Mikhalev wrote:
>>> in "8.3 Margin properties", computed value for margin-* claimed as:
>>> "the percentage as specified or the absolute length"
>>
>> I think this should say "the percentage or auto as specified, or the
>> absolute length".
>
> mozilla POV :)

Not really.  Mozilla used to inherit the old definition of computed
value, but it was a lot of extra work, and getting rid of that extra
work was the whole point of the change that introduced used values.

The point of that change was that inheritance would never depend on
layout-dependent computations, which it would if margin:auto has to
be inherited as a number.  It would be extremely silly to remove
that dependency for all cases but one.

-David