Re: [gradients] basics

On Nov 8, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> background: linear-gradient(magenta yellow) url(...)
> background: url(...) linear-gradient(magenta yellow)

With the current draft, these would be treated as multiple background
images, with the last one in the list on the bottom. So, no, they are
not the same thing. But there are certainly reasons to be able to
layer 2 gradients, or a gradient on top of another image:

When layering 2 gradients with transparency on the top one (at least),
you can get more complex gradients that blend colors in two or more
directions at once.
When layering a gradient over some other non-repeating background-
image (a large logo, for instance), you can create a fade-out effect
for that image, by blending from a color (matching the background-
color) to transparent.
Similarly, you can create the effect that a normal patterned
background is fading out as it gets closer to one edge, by putting a
full-width/height linear-gradient over it that fades from a color to
transparent.

It seems to me that we've already discussed these arguments at length
in previous threads, and the working group resolved to continue with
the concept of gradient-as-image. Let's work on that first, and
resolve any issues with it before tackling a wider application of the
concept to anything-with-a-color-can-have-a-gradient-instead.