RE: [css-gcpm] order of text replace vs. whitespace processing

In my opinion it should never apply. Text replace is certainly a useful and powerful tool, but I don't think it belongs to a styling system,  not where it deals with plain text content. Whitespace is just one thing that makes it more complicated. Next, we'll want to make sure it works over element boundaries... And writing an editor over it is something I don't look forward to.

And don't mess with Soviet Union either ;)

From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ludger Buenger
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:54 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css-gcpm] order of text replace vs. whitespace processing

Good evening list.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#character sais regarding the text-replace property:

"This property is evaluated after the 'content' property, and before 'text-transform'."

However (if I am not mistaken) it is undefined, whether text-replace is to be applied before or after whitespace processing.

Currently I expect that the sentence above implicitly assumes that whitespace processing happens after text-transform but

CSS2.1 never defines when text-transform is applied with respect to whitespace processing.

In 2.1 it did not matter - text-transform does not modify the content in a way that it affects whitespace processing so applying whitespace processing before text transformation does not change the result.

However with text-replace now being defined to happen before text-transform should't it be defined that/whether text replacement also occurs before whitespace processing?

Best regards,

Ludger

--

Dipl.-Inf. Ludger Bünger

Senior Software Engineer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RealObjects GmbH

Altenkesseler Str. 17/B6

66115 Saarbrücken, Germany

Tel +49 (0)681 98579 0

Fax +49 (0)681 98579 29

http://www.realobjects.com

ludger.buenger@realobjects.com<mailto:ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>

Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Saarbrücken, HRB 12016

Managing Directors: Michael Jung, Markus Neurohr

VAT-ID: DE210373115