Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

\On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Brad Kemper
>> <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> For hit-testing, yes. For clipping, no. If I have to chose between
>>> hit-testing and not having my image clipped by the radius, then I
>>> prefer
>>> the latter. Consider an images like these:
>>>
>>> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/borders.png
>>>
>>> In each case, it would be useful to have border-radius for
>>> fallback, for
>>> background-clipping, and for hit/hover-testing, but not for
>>> clipping the
>>> border-image.
>>
>> Certainly; I did not mean to imply otherwise.
>
> Actually, David Hyatt implied in a different thread a few days ago
> that hit-testing was based fairly strictly on clipping, so I was
> also incorporating that info into my reply to you, above. Maybe he
> could find a way to clip the hit/hover-testing without clipping the
> border though, as you and I would prefer.

This does raise the interesting question of whether the border image's
(possibly larger) box should be considered for hit testing... or if it
is a purely visual effect that should be completely ignored.  There's
also the question of where outlines should render.

I'm not really sure what the right answer is here.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)