Re: [css3-fonts] font descriptor default values

> Thomas Phinney wrote:
>> In OpenType and TrueType, there are a variety of name fields
>> available, and font developers can express the "real" family grouping
>> just fine alongside the GDI-friendly one. But that's not what gets
>> shown to GDI apps, including browsers AFAIK. Mac OS doesn't have these
>> restrictions, but as long as any major OS API does, there's an issue.

This discussion of course mostly applies to "client fonts" i.e. fonts
installed on the user's client. Fortunately enough, the web fonts
mechanism provides a complete abstraction from the actual font naming
contained in the fonts, which I think it quite wonderful. I'd like to
remind everyone that with "server fonts" aka "web fonts", CSS provides,
essentially, a font _installation_ system that sets up a completely new
naming scheme independent of the font naming contained in the font
files. For example:

@font-face {
font-family: "Twardoch Body";
font-weight: normal;
src: url("http://www.twardoch.com/fonts/garamond.ttf")
}

@font-face {
font-family: "Twardoch Body";
font-weight: bold;
src: url("http://www.twardoch.com/fonts/arialblack.ttf")
}

body {
font-family: "Twardoch Body";
}

Which seems to at least partially solve the problem, no?

BTW, I just looked at a test page I made and it seems that Safari
supports both http:// and file:// URL links to web fonts while Firefox
does not support file:// at all.

Adam

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
(Hunter S. Thompson)