Re: vertical-align and line-height

Thanks for the quick reply! See comments below.

Regards,
Em2 Solutions AB
Michael Jansson

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 2009-02-26 17:30 +0100, Michael Jansson wrote:
>
>> I don't understand how the height of the single line is being computed
>> for the middle block element in Firefox and Opera. I would expect it to
>> be 100px, since none of the inline elements are taller than that.
>> However, I get a taller block in Firefox and Opera. I can also see that
>> there is actually two line boxes if I select the text in the browser. I
>> only expect one.
>>

> Neither is taller than 100px, but they're not at the same position.
> The half-leading goes evenly on each side of the font, so the line
> is supposed to end up taller than 100px.

Hm... don't think I quite understand. Are you saying that the
line-height is 100px within each inline box, but because of the
positioning, the line box containing all the inline boxes will end up
being taller? Seems odd. I would expect the end result (not the
individual parts of the line box) to honor the line-height. I think the
spec states that as well, right!? I did some measuring and found the
middle div to be 140px in both Firefox and Opera.

I did some more tests to compare how the line-height is computed, since
my initial understanding seems to be wrong. I get roughly the same
distance between lines in Opera and Firefox, and different results in
both Safari and IE. Also, I'm getting different distances between lines
if vertical-align is used or not (although it won't actually affect the
alignment) in all browsers except IE, which is not what I would expect
as a web author. Also, I find that the distance between the lines is not
the chosen line-height value (which was chosen to be big enough to add
leading). Again, as a web author I would expect the line height (from a
typographical point of view) to be the value of line-height and I think
the spec states that too!?

>> Second mystery is that the text is not being text-bottom aligned in
>> Firefox and Opera for the middle case. Intuitively, I wouldn't expect
>> setting the line-height to affect the vertical alignment. I would expect
>> case 2 and 3 to give the same result.
>>

> This is because 'text-bottom' aligns the bottom of the box (which
> includes the half-leading, which is different sizes for different
> pieces of text) to the bottom of the parent's text.  (In this case,
> there isn't any text in the parent, but it still has metrics.)

So using the line-height would give the inlines the half-leading which
will make them all the same height as the line-height!? Any of the
top/bottom values for the vertical-align would thus have no effect since
the inline boxes would already be both top and bottom aligned (having
the same height). Is that it?

Is this good? More specifically, why does the spec require the leading
to be such that the glyphs are vertically centered?  I can't see the
technical reasons for this (incidentally IE does not center the glyphs
vertically, but will honor the vertical-align instead), and I can see
lots of uses for aligning text with vertical-align. I deal with lots of
non-Latin text and lots of typography in general. Seems odd also that
one property will disable another property for some but not all elements
(e.g. not for replaceable elements, right!?).

I'd like to see a revised spec where the second paragraph in section
10.8.1 does not require the glyphs to be centered vertically. I guess
there are other procedures for making such requests? What's you opinion
on such as change though? I would very much like to learn what this
requirement was put into the spec in the first place.

Lots of question and comments. Lets see if I can summarize:
1) Why does vertical-align affect the typographical line height (the
vertical distance between two lines), even in cases where the
line-height is much taller than the content height of the inline boxes
of a line box?
2) Why isn't the line-height the same as the typographical line height
in most browsers?
3) Why does the css 2.1 spec require glyphs to be vertically centered
when adding leading? Put differently, is text forced to be vertically
align when line-height is used and if so, why?