Re: Clarification needed for inline boxes containing block boxes

2009/2/26 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>:
>> In addition, I expect that an inline box cannot contain a block box in
>> any case. Three resolutions are therefore possibile:
>
> Did you read the section of the spec that I cited in my original mail? The
> rest of your mail seems to cover ground that's already covered by that spec
> section.  The correct behavior is your behavior 1, per spec as currently
> written, except the spec doesn't go into nearly as much detail as you do,
> with the ensuing interop problems.

Actually I didn't notice you referring to that section, but reading
more carefully it seems that "if a border had been set on the BODY
element in the above example, the border would be drawn around C1
(open at the end of the line) and C2 (open at the start of the line)".
That is, only the Opera behaviour is allowed per current spec.
If this thread is for changing it, I expressed my opinion.

>> I personally don't like n° 1
>
> Too bad.  At this point it's been specified as the right thing for years and
> web sites depend on it.

Do web sites really depend on inline-in-block? If I were an author (as
I try to be in my spare time), I would not depend on that, that seems
like error recovering, instead of the correct behaviour.

>> Instead I think that 3) is easy to implement, in the spec and in code,
>> and meets author expectations (if I want a block inside an inline, I
>> probably want a block in the same line).
>
> Actually, web authors don't, at this point, since browsers haven't been
> doing it.  Sorry.

I should have subscribed to this mailing list in 1996. :)

> -Boris

Giovanni