Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

David Hyatt wrote:

> Rather than suppressing the shadow, what about using the border-image as
> a mask when deciding how to draw the shadow?  In theory it should be
> possible to intelligently draw a more complex shadow for a border-image
> object.

Ok, so let's test this theory. Here's the definitions of the intended effect
for normal borders:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-box-shadow
   # An outer box-shadow casts a shadow as if the border-box of the
   # element were opaque ... shadows the box onto the canvas, as if
   # it were lifted above the canvas
   #
   # An inner box-shadow casts a shadow as if everything outside the
   # padding edge were opaque ... shadows the canvas onto the box,
   # as if the box were cut out of the canvas and shifted behind it

Is it possible to intelligently draw a complex shadow for this border-image?
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/border.png
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/borderresult.png
Now imagine I said 'space' instead of 'round'.

If you and roc are able to find a way to intelligently draw complex shadows
for something like that, and are willing to implement it, I'll put it in
the spec.

If not, then we're back to box-shaped shadows and the suppress-or-not
argument.

~fantasai