Re: [CSS] Extending media queries

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:29:52 +0100, François REMY
> <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> I just read this (draft of) proposition from Webkit about extending
>> the 'Media Queries' so that it can reflect the implementation of some
>> (currently proprietary) properties introduced by Webkit
>> (http://webkit.org/specs/MediaQueriesExtensions.html)
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> What do you think of it?
>
> It seems to me that the WebKit proposal is addressing a few specific
> issues. Namely hardware for which supporting 3D transforms or even 2D
> transforms is not feasible, static media which will not do animations or
> transitions, while you are proposing feature sniffing which has been
> rejected for several years now and is always propposed as some sort of
> technical solution without detailed explanation of why it is needed, how
> it is going to be trusted/useful, and what the backwards compatibility
> story will be.

I don't see where you're getting the hardware angle here, it's not mentioned
in the draft afaict. Also, I don't see how this is any different from any
other form of feature sniffing. It seems to have exactly the same problems of
"why is it needed, how is it going to be trusted/useful, and what the backwards
compatibility story will be". I can see that it would be useful. But I can make
the exact same arguments for "supports vertical text" or "supports absolute
positioning" or "supports CSS tables".

~fantasai