Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Feb 12, 2009, at 4:40 PM, fantasai wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> BTW they have "inset" too. What "inset" should do with border-
>> images is another kettle of fish...
>
> Invert the alpha values of the mask.

My view, as stated before, is that "inset" shadows should have nothing
to do with image-border. They are a decorative effect on the padding
box.

Imagine a box with a thick border and a thick inset shadow. It looks a
little like a frame casting a shadow through a cut out space onto a
surface below. Now replace the border with an image of a straight-
edged picture frame that followed the same edges. Wouldn't you still
expect the cut-out effect of the padding box to be the same? If you
you inset the image of the border, you end up with a completely
different area being cut out (unlike with outer shadows).

And I think you must have been kidding about inverting the alpha
values, but I didn't see a winking emoticon. Inverting the mask would
result in solid shadow in all the areas that were transparent, and
transparent areas in all the areas that were solid, and perfectly
straight outer edges, regardless of blur. A real inset shadow draws
shadows in completely different places.