Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-02-04: box-shadow and border-image

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> However, could we achieve what we want by simply having each pixel
>> inherit the highest alpha value of any pixel within X of it, with X
>> depending on the spread?  Negative spreads would inherit the lowest
>> alpha instead.
>

> Maybe. It's totally unclear to me what "spread" means in this situation, so
> it's not clear what authors would want or expect.

Well, I don't have a browser on hand right now that implements the
spread value on box-shadow, so I can't be certain, but what I
described above *appears* to be what's intended by the spec text.
Wherever the shadow would be drawn, increase its boundary by X pixels
first.  Of course, if anyone is currently implementing it they'll be
doing so in a much more efficient way (you can just draw a bigger box,
no need for per-pixel operations).