Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS WG

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Hi Elika,
>
> Many thanks for moving this forward.
>
> I think you need to remove "U+0571 U+0302" from the beginning of the
> example of 2951.

Fixed.

> (Very tiny nit: I'd put a comma after the digit 2, to make it easier to read.)

Given our international audience, that would also make it more
ambiguous. :)

> Btw, another nit, I find the styling of paragraphs a little odd.
> Because most of the paragraphs I looked at just now were small
> single sentences, it took a while for me to realise that the
> indentation was just to indicate the start of a new paragraph,
> rather than having some other meaning.  I actually checked the
> code for clues, before it dawned on me.

That's a CSS3-wide style setting. If you convince Bert to change
it, I'll be happy to make sure it applies on dev.w3.org. :) I
agree it looks weird on short paragraphs. I suspect indentation
works well in books and magazines mainly because the line lengths
are typically much shorter than you typically wind up with on the
Web.

> Wrt " There are two letters for 10,000 and 20,000 (U+0555 and
> U+0556 respectively), but whether and how they should be used
> is unclear.", I think there are two options:
>
> 1. leave it out, since we now only specify numbering up to 9,999.
>
> 2. leave it in, as a note, but add information to say that numbers
>    over 9,999 tend to be indicated using an (as yet undefined)
>    combining character, but sometimes one of the two characters
>    mentioned here are used for 10,000 and 20,000 respectively.
>    I could do some wording if you like.
>
> In the latter case, I think the text should be moved to the section
> on lower-armenian, since that's where the algorithm is described.
> I'm not aware that this applies only to upper-armenian.

Third option: comment it out. I will comment it out. I'm still hoping
you'll take over the numbering systems part of this module, so you
can uncomment or whatever as you like when you do. :P

> Another v small nitty suggestion: " The suffix for the armenian
> numbering system is a dot . U+002E."  May be better to say,
> "... is U+002E   FULL STOP.", so that it's more immediately
> clear in the text what character we're dealing with.

Fixed.

~fantasai