Re: Unicode Normalization thread should slow down; summary needed

* Henri Sivonen wrote:
>What was the thrust of the i18n core comments then? Except for your
>remarks, as far as I can tell, the thread has revolved around keyboard
>input order or differences in input methods between operating systems
>causing different code point sequences for same visual apperances.

I would think the I18N Core Working Group is well aware that there are
too many ways in which strings end up in web content to count them all
and I consequently took discussion about direct character by character
user input as well as those about identifiers as mere illustration of
the general problem. How big a problem that is or what requirements a
solution would have to meet nobody seems to know.

As far as CSS Selectors go, they largely state that strings are to be
compared using some collation defined by the language of the document.
Used on an XML document, if the XML specification says NFC(Björn) and
NFD(Björn) are different IDs, then there is no basis for Selectors to
match otherwise. As such this discussion is largely misplaced on www-
style.