Re: Hebrew Lists in CSS3

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org> wrote:
> The algorithm for combining is a little tricky: depending on the length of
> the number string a character needs to be either appended to the string or
> inserted between the last two characters.

That's true, yeah.  So is this worth speccing?  Is anyone going to use it?

> We will also need to find a
> solution to the problem of ambiguity between x and x * 1000.

Ah, I see.  I misread the text as specifying that, e.g., 1 is א
(aleph) and 1000 is א׳ (aleph geresh), so it wouldn't be ambiguous.
That's what Firefox implements, and it's what I wrote into the
examples.  I see now that actually you wrote that the geresh is added
only if there's more than one group, so the current version is
inconsistent: the examples contradict the prose.

If א׳, ב׳, etc. is undesirable, I suppose we could write תתר, א׳תתר,
etc.  That would be pretty clear, anyway, although more complicated to
implement.  I'm not familiar with this method of writing numbers over
1000 anyway, so I can't comment on correctness.