Re: Unicode Normalization

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>wrote:

>  This is a similar problem to font/glyph issues outlined earlier by Andrew
>> Cunningham with various African and Eastern languages.
>>
>> I've tried several different fonts, and they all render the glyphs
>> differently, despite canonical equivalence.
>>

> This is somewhat tangential to the real issue, but FWIW.... I suspect that
> in most (or perhaps all) cases, what's really happening is that the font
> you're using does not support the characters U+3008 and U+3009, and your
> software is performing a font fallback and rendering these from its default
> CJK font instead. So it's not that font developers are providing different
> glyphs for canonically-equivalent characters, but rather, they are not
> necessarily supporting the equivalent characters at all.
>
> JK

That is possible; I went into "[Character Map]" (A program on Ubuntu which
lists *all* the characters, whether they exist or not), and in every font,
except for a few, the characters varied only slightly, if at all, between
fonts.

FreeSans and FreeMono show a difference in all the characters in the three
strings(between the two fonts, and between the two characters). The
difference is less noticable in FreeSans, but there is a difference.

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
>One of the reasons its better to use appropriate fonts for the language and
contents of a document.

>The shape of each glyph is a design consideration by the font developer
base don the context of its usage.

Most of the fonts I checked in my first reply were either Serif, Sans-serif,
or some other non-monospace fonts. Most wouldn't appear to be intended to be
used in something which would require different glyphs to be rendered
differently and handled as such (coding, for example).