Re: Proposal for overflow painting order

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> I think we have bug in specification regarding negative margins and stacking
> order.
>
> Attached is the illustration that demonstrates layout of three
> DOM elements with the one in the middle having
>
> margin-top: -10px;
> margin-bottom: -10px;
>
> I think that its stacking order is slightly larger (as shown on the
> illustration) than its normal siblings thus it will be drawn on
> top of *both*, previous and next, its siblings.

Do you mean you *want* it to have a higher stacking order?  Right now
it seems to definitely follow normal stacking order.

Is there any particular reason that you think margins should affect
stacking order here?  I would find that *highly* unintuitive, not to
mention probably page-breaking at this point.

If you *do* want your behavior, it can be achieved by simply setting
the middle element to be position:relative and z-index:2, in addition
to the margins.