Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

Hi Henri,

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Surely a MARC21-based system should then use this data representation
> internally but not leak it to a Web UI for the system.

I agree whole heartedly

But the reality is very fewILMSs normalise

But then that not really any different form the average website, content
management system, web application, web service or editing environment.

Current industry practice as a rule is not to normalise. I could
speculate that this is because most developers have little understanding
or knowledge of working with lesser used languages, and do not know how
to handle languages these languages.

Standard European language keyboards always generate NFC data. You have
to deliberately go out of oyur way to generate NFD for European
languages. I suspect the average developer has never seen European
language data in NFD format. They don't have to deal with it, they don't
think about it, they don't build it into their web apps. So these tools
then become problematic for people using lesser used languages.

although if i was using a risk analysis scale, I'd rate normalisation of
selectors as a low impact issue, since it wouldn't occur frequently.

Poor design generally tends to be the biggest barrier for lesser used
languages.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Fax: +61-3-9639-2175

Email: andrewc@vicnet.net.au
Alt email: lang.support@gmail.com