Re: Unicode Normalization

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> I don't really care whether it's a bad idea or not, it would a bug in
> our software if we normalized on input unless XML was somehow changed.

There's a related question here, somewhat less theoretical than what
happens with the textnodes in XML.  If I have an XML open tag in NFC and
the close tag in NFD, equal after normalization, is that a mismatched
tag per XML?

> And I'll try to make my other point a bit more explicit, I do not think
> that www-style is the appropriate venue for this discussion. If we
> cannot do normalization on XML or HTML, doing normalization (say NFC) on
> CSS would make it not work with certain XML documents that e.g. use NFD.
> (Doing the normalization during comparison is not really going to fly I
> think.)

That's pretty much my opinion too.

> If changes are required here we need to change CSS, but also HTML and
> XML. (And maybe ECMAScript; I do not know the details.)

If you want |foo.className == "lalala"| comparisons to work in script,
then yes.

-Boris