Re: [css3-background] box-shadow and border-break

On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:18 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> That would follow the logic of what that sentence is meaning to
>> say, but neither Mozilla or WebKit is doing this yet. It does seem
>> to me that this should be taken out of "4.8 The ¡®box-shadow¡¯ prope
>> rty", and should be covered in "4.6 The ¡®border-break¡¯ property".
>> Perhaps in that section, the following:
>> If the style is set to ¡®|none|¡¯, no border and no padding are inse
>> rted at the break.
>> should be expanded to this:
>> If the style is set to ¡®|none|¡¯, no border and no padding are inse
>> rted at the break, and all contents and properties that would norm
>> ally render something below that edge are suppressed. This include
>> s clipping the box-shadow and any absolutely positioned contents,
>> and suppressing the border-image for that edge. The end result sho
>> uld be as though the elements were rendered with no break present,
>>  and then sliced by the break afterward.
>
> I've added some clarification wording to 4.6. The section now reads
>
>  # If the value of ¡®border-break¡¯ is ¡®close¡¯, then each box is
>  # independently wrapped with the border and padding. The
>  # ¡®border-radius¡¯, ¡®border-image¡¯, and ¡®box-shadow¡¯, if any,
>  # are applied to each box independently.
>  #
>  # If the style is set to ¡®none¡¯, no border and no padding are
>  # inserted at the break. Otherwise, if some other border style
>  # is given, padding is added as wide as the corresponding side
>  # of the ¡®padding¡¯ property and a border is added with the
>  # specified style, width, and color. No box-shadow is drawn
>  # outside the broken edge, and the ¡®border-image¡¯ is rendered
>  # for the whole box as if it were unbroken: the effect is as
>  # though the element were rendered with no break present, and
>  # then sliced by the break afterward.
>
> Let me know if that is clear enough.

I think that is much better; thank you. Just a couple small points:

1. With box-shadow's 'inset', the part about it not being drawn
outside the broken edge is not quite right. It should not be drawn
along that edge if it is an inner shadow either.

2 should 'some other border style' be 'some other border properties'?
Or is it OK to use 'border style' in a more general sense like that?

3 That part mentions shadow and border image, so it should also
mention border-radius (apply to box as whole).