Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Monday 2009-02-02 09:53 -0800, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> On the question of performance, Anne's point about the comparison
> is incomplete. Yes, you only do a strcmp() in your code today.

No, we're not using strcmp() in our code today, because it's too
slow.  We're doing atomization of many things to make comparison
faster than strcmp.

> However, there are two problems with this observation.
>
> First, any two strings that are equal are, well, equal.
> Normalizing them both won't change that. So an obvious performance
> boost is to call strcmp() first.

Most string comparisons fail, so failing quickly is significantly
more important than succeeding quickly.

-David