Re: breaking overflow

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Even when I've used overflow:hidden for correct reasons - I really
>> do want the overflow to be hidden - I sometimes have children that
>> I *do* want to 'overflow'. Often these children are abspos and
>> just positioned outside of the block.
>
> I brought up the idea of overflowed abspos children being visible
> beyond the clipped box a couple years ago, but there were some hairy
> problems associated with how that would would work with scrollbars
> that they might overlap, if I recall correctly.

IIRC this issue arose during discussion of a proposal regarding the
z-index of scrollbars.

I believe the situation as currently widely implemented works in a
satisfactory way: when an element O with non-'visible' overflow comes
strictly between an absolutely positioned element A and its containing
block, A does not interact with the scrollbars of O in any special way.
Instead A either lies "on top of" or "underneath" O and its scrollbars
depending on the z-index of A.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net