Re: [css3-animations] What if different keyframes have different sets of properties?

On Tuesday 2009-12-22 12:01 -0800, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> >We see value in using the unanimated value of the property to replace
> >missing values, because it allows the author to use keyframes to animate
> >something to and from where it is now. I think this is more useful than using
> >'forward fill' logic.
>
> That seems good for the beginning keyframe(s) and the ending
> keyframe(s ). But I'm more ambivalent about it's appropriateness for
> when there is a missing declaration between two frames that do have
> a value for that property, like this one:
>
> # @keyframes one {
> #   from { top: 100px; left: 100px; }
> #   50%  { top: 200px; }
> #   to   { top: 100px; left: 300px; }
> # }
>
> Is that still useful to refer to the unanimated value in the middle
> of the animation, or is it just unexpected and missing out on a way
> to write shorter, cleaner code (where you only have to write the in-
> between values of the proprties that you want different from what
> would be automatically in-betweened)?

I actually rather like the way Simon described it; it makes it much
clearer to me how animations is an extension of transitions (which I
didn't previously understand).  My understanding is now that
animations simply applies the various rules inside the @keyframes
rule at the relevant stages of the animation (overriding all other
rules), and then transitions between them.

-David