Re: New values for Float property

On 12/4/09 9:16 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> So basically *-start and *-end are treated as context-dependent
> aliases for *-left and *-right?

Effectively, yes.

-Boris

P.S. More precisely, each of the properties is actually treated as a
shorthand: *-left sets *-left-value to the value and *-left-ltr-source
and *-left-rtl-source to "physical".  *-start sets *-start-value to the
value and *-left-ltr-source and *-right-rtl-source to "logical".
Similar for right/end.

Then at style computation time, you examine your "direction" value, look
at the corresponding *-source value, and use either the physical or
logical value depending on what the *-source says.

This is an implementation detail, I think; it's needed internally so
that we can base computed style information purely on "the specified
values of all properties" without reference to relative specificity of
*-start/end and *-left/right; that means having properties (the *-source
properties) whose specified value effectively encodes said relative
specificity.