Re: Image sprites use cases

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Aryeh Gregor<Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Actually, the proposal would be a package with a manifest, then you address
>> the images normally and they get loaded from the package in browsers that
>> support it (and one by one from the web server in ones that don't).  That
>> way it's even backwards compatible and can be rolled out as soon as desired.
>>  See http://limi.net/articles/resource-packages for a very initial proposal
>> draft; comments welcome.
>
> It sounds like an excellent proposal.  The simplicity of what the
> author has to do here makes it clearly superior to any proposal I've
> heard or thought of on the subject before.

::actually goes and looks at the proposal::

Wow, that's... that's really genius.  And cleanly backwards-compatible
without a lot of extra work.  Just develop on an ordinary file
structure, then zip the contents of the folder and put the zip there
next to everyone else.  Bam, free shadow file structure in a single
optimized package that works absolutely transparently.

A++