Re: Image sprites use cases

Alex Kaminski wrote:
> The checkbox image should reflect the value (checked, unchecked,
> mixed) and the control state (normal, hover, pressed, disabled).  That
> is 12 images and I would rather not have them in separate files, and
> use image sprites instead.

Is the right solution here image sprites plus a new complex CSS spec
feature, or some sort of packaging format that gives you the main
benefit of image sprites (only having to make one HTTP request to get ll
the images) plus a new feature to support this packaging format in
browsers?  Or is your usecase not addressed by the latter for some reason?

Note that the latter is easier to make backwards-compatible with
browsers that don't support the packaging format; the failure mode will
be separate requests per image rather than incorrect images.  So it can
be rolled out before all browsers have support for it, as desired.

-Boris