Re: Repeating gradients (Was: Re: Talk on radial gradients)

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> Indeed.  As I currently have it, and as Webkit does it, none of the
> background-* properties leak into the gradient() rule.  It's a
> completely independent function that just does its job drawing an
> image with the information provided and then steps back, just like
> url().

The logic here is that repeating behaviour depends on the image type.

I'm inclined to keep it that way.  To do otherwise is to make it act
> unpredictably when further combinations of background-* properties are
> used.  For example, when you use background-size to make the image
> less than the size of the box, what happens?  Does it repeat?

No, it scales. Whether an image repeats or not is independent of the image
type. The only thing that varies by image type is how it repeats.

> What if
> you want a gradient that only runs through its stops once (which would
> require no-repeat), but is then tiled across the background (which
> would require repeat)?

You basically never want that.

Rob
53:5-6]