Re: Talk on radial gradients

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM, David Perrell<davidp@hpaa.com> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> | I'm just really hesitant to add an explicit ending-circle declaration,
> | because it's rather complex (a full bg-position to place the center,
> | then up to two radiuses to finish it out).  I think you can get the
> | effects you want just by using <length> on your color-stops, and that
> | this technique is probably roughly as easy as an explicit
> | ending-circle declaration.
>
> Yes, like linear-gradient in that respect.
>
> Are you considering ellipses at only 0 and 90 degrees? I don't like that limitation.

Yes, I'm currently only considering ellipses at those points, where
their primary and secondares axes are vertical and horizontal.

Isn't there supposed to be a background-rotate property or something?
Or is that just an SVG property?

> An ellipse can be specified with a center position, an angle for the primary axis, and an angle for shape of the ellipse (90deg is a circle, 0deg is a line).

I'm not clear on how an angle defines the shape of an ellipse.  Is
this a standard way of defining it?  Can you point me at some math
explaining it?

> Color stops would extend along the primary axis, measured from the center. Color-stop percentages would refer to the distance from the center point to the intersection of the primary axis with the side of the box, at the specified axis angle.
>
> Default position would be centered. Default axis would be in the widest dimension. Default shape would have the 100% point on the minor axis touching a side. Simple vignettes would really be simple.

Can you give me an example or two of the proposed syntax?