Re: [CSS3] Some thoughts about functions, notation and gradient().

On Aug 20, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> 1. For angles, drop the bg-position and the inside/outside.  Leave
> only the angle.
> 2. For the other construction, drop the bg-positions, and specify just
> a side or a corner.
> 3. Add a second slash into the color-stop list, such that anything
> that comes after this second slash measures from the end rather than
> the beginning.

That's a pretty good summation of our differences. And in dropping the
bg-positions, I am also dropping the "to" with the end point after it
(since there is already a place to indicate beginning and ending
points, in the color-stop list). My changes are to keep it simple.
Short and sweet, and covering 99.99% of the use people would find for
CSS gradations.

Even #3, above, is more for a minority of uses than for the more
common use, and could be accomplished with calc() if you really would
hate to separate the color-stops into two sub-lists that way.
Personally I think it is more clear with a second slash when you need
it, and certainly more clear than using a minus or some other marker
before each measurement to indicate measuring from the end instead of
the beginning.