Re: Projection media type in fullscreen browser mode

Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com> wrote:

> Op Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:44:40 +0200 schreef Stewart Brodie
> <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>:
>
> > Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The spec says that media types are mutually exclusive:
> >>
> >> "Media types are mutually exclusive in the sense that a user agent can
> >> only support one media type when rendering a document."
> >
> > Yes it does, but you can't really implement a non-desktop browser that
> > follows that.  I have to accept both "screen" and "tv", rather than just
> > "tv", because a failure to accept "screen" as well leads to a complete
> > lack
> > of style on various sites that have tried to separate out their
> > stylesheets (usually into "screen" and "print")
>
> Yes, but the question is: do you cascade the 'tv' styles with the 'screen'
> styles? Or do you fall back to using 'screen' styles when no 'tv' styles
> are found, but ignore the 'screen' when there is a style sheet for the
> 'tv' media type? The spec is clear that only the latter is allowed (it is
> just a case of the user agent intelligently deciding which media type
> would be most likely to be useful for its users at any given moment).

I believe that we may still do the former, contrary to the specification,
for the benefit of some broken, but important, sites that our customers
insisted that we support :-/   This was some time ago though, so those sites
may now be completely different and use media types in a way that makes the
correct behaviour feasible.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer