Re: Projection media type in fullscreen browser mode

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:11:28 +0200, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug<oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> To clarify, if the projection media type is used anywhere it will
>> render to that media type and ignore "screen". If there is nothing
>> projection-specific it will render to "screen" media.
>
> Then Opera is deciding its media type partly based on the markup
> provided by the author?  That's not how I expect media types to work
> -- they're meant to query what sort of device is being used, not
> return information about the current page's markup.

I suppose it could be described as "falling back" to screen rendering if
no projection style is available. The standard does not seem to disallow
this, though I can see how it could be unexpected.

> I can't know if the administrator of the site has added a @media
> projection rule somewhere in a custom stylesheet.
(...)
> So the only way for MediaWiki to get correct behavior is to make sure
> that *all* built-in stylesheets are served as screen,projection, to
> make sure Opera uses them in full-screen mode no matter what.  Even
> though we don't actually want them to be used for projection, and the
> content is actually totally unsuitable for paged projection.

Well, in this case we would be in projection mode, so it wouldn't really
be appropriate to add styles if they are not intended to be used for
projection. Either that, or the projection rules that were added in the
first place were wrong or insufficient.

However, it might be a good idea for the browser to allow the user a
choice between just "regular" full-screen and projection mode. I've raised
this to our desktop team as a possible improvement.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA