Re: Filling text with a gradient/image

On Aug 16, 2009, at 12:26 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2009, at 11:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>

>> To be clear: the sucky one was the Webkit idea.  My idea of using
>> text-fill with the full set of background properties shouldn't be
>> sucky.  ^_^  It's approaching the problem in the correct direction.
>>

> background-clip: text is not being proposed.  :)
>
> I agree with the idea of enhancing text-fill.

How about something called "text-background" that has all all the
background-* properties preceded by "text-"? The values for text-
background-clip would be different ("glyph", "line" or "all"). If
"text-background-clip: glyph" or "text-background-clip: line", then a
100% height for background-size would mean from the top of the line to
the baseline. "text-background-clip: line" would repeat the background
on every line, and "text-background-clip: glyph" would repeat the
background on every glyph.

This would create a lot of equivelance between filling text and
filling backgrounds, so it would be easy to learn and quick to move
from editors draft to recommendation.  And you then wouldn't need text-
fill.