Re: Gradient syntax proposal

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> So, hey, question unrelated to the debate.
>>
>> Currently, I say that if the starting-point and ending-point are the
>> same, then the rule is invalid.  SVG says that in this situation the
>> 'gradient' is just the solid color specified by the furthest
>> color-stop.
>>
>> I'd be fine with adopting this rule to cleave closer to SVG.  Anyone
>> have any objections?
>
> If I saw the following:
>
> linear-gradient(top / green 50%, blue 50%)
>
> I would assume the top half of the box was green and the bottom half blue,
> with a sharp division between, since the colors continue on both sides. As
> though the gradation took place within 0 pixels. Is that the sort of
> situation you mean?

Nah, what you're expressing is already exactly how things work.
Color-stops are allowed to hit the same points.

I'm talking about a situation like:

linear-gradient(top to top / green, blue)

If something analogous was expressed in SVG, it would just be a big
blue image, since blue was the furthest color stop.  Right now in my
proposal it's invalid.